tangy bbq chicken bowls
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes minutes
FOR THE BBQ CHICKEN
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs fat trimmed off
- 1 cup bbq sauce homemade recipe
FOR TANGY BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
FOR THE BOWLS
- 3 cups cooked rice brown basmati or jasmine
- 1 can black beans
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2 small avocados diced
- fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- For the chicken, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and nestle a wire cooling rack inside.
- In a medium saucepan or skillet, make the BBQ sauce by whisking together 1 cup ketchup, ½ cup brown sugar,3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and a big pinch of salt and pepper until fully combined. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, stirring often until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove the sauce from heat. Reserve about 3/4 cup sauce for serving.
- Place 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. Transfer 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the bowl with the chicken and toss until coated on all sides. Place the BBQ sauce-covered chicken pieces on the wire cooling rack and roast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Using a pastry brush or spoon, coat the chicken with remaining bbq sauce in the bowl. Return the chicken to the oven for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven, brush it with BBQ sauce one last time, then turn the broiler on high. Broil the chicken for 4-6 minutes until it begins to brown on the edges. (watch it closely) The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop chicken before assembling the bowls.
FOR THE BOWLS
- To assemble, divide the 3 cups cooked rice among 6 bowls or plates. Top each bowl of rice with equal amounts of BBQ chicken followed by the canned beans, canned corn, halved tomatoes, finely diced red onion, and diced avocado.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime, and top with pepper jack or cheddar cheese, if desired. Serve with any remaining BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.
- Serve bowls alongside chips and salsa and fresh pineapple or mango.
- Protein: Use a shredded rotisserie chicken tossed with BBQ sauce. Scatter sauced chicken on a lined sheet tray and pop it under the broiler for 2 minutes to crisp it up a bit.
- Vegetarian: Remove the chicken and double the beans to make BBQ beans by simmering with 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce.
- Other: If you’re short on time, use a store bought BBQ sauce and follow the same steps above.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Make BBQ sauce in advance and store in a mason jar or airtight container.
- Cook rice in advance.
- Prep veggies in advance: slice tomatoes, remove corn off the cob, chop cilantro.
Calories: 791kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 169mg | Sodium: 1352mg | Potassium: 1356mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 46g | Vitamin A: 1292IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 307mg | Iron: 4mg