My favorite spring soup!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1-pound) package petite frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Crème fraiche or sour cream, for garnish
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chopped whites of the scallions, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until just fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the peas and half of the green parts of the chopped green onions (reserving the rest for garnish). Simmer until peas are thawed and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it’s semi-smooth but still has some texture. (Alternatively, puree the soup in batches in a standard blender.)
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the cream and stir well. Cook until the soup is warmed through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with crème fraiche or sour cream, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes