Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Black Beans & Cumin Yogurt Sauce
March 18, 2021
If you’re looking for a simple but hearty vegetarian dinner then you’re going to love these Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! They’re full of delicious spices and flavor and super easy to put together with only a few simple ingredients.
WHEN SWEET MEETS SAVORY
What I love most about this recipe is how fresh the ingredients are! The thought of black beans and sweet potatoes going well together never even crossed my mind. Then I was served a black bean and sweet potato taco and I was hooked! I knew I needed to turn this combination into as many meals as I could think of but this one was by far my favorite. There’s nothing like loading a potato up for a delicious filling meal. It’s one of those meals that leaves you full and satisfied but still feeling good and light afterwards. But the best part about it is it can be totally customizable. You can add any other toppings you want to make it your own!
When you bake any sort of potato in the oven you’ll want to be sure to always rub the skin in olive oil and rub salt and pepper in it. This will leave you with a flavorful crispy skin! Don’t forget to poke holes in your potato to allow the steam to escape. Nobody wants to be cleaning an exploded potato from their oven, trust me. By making your sauce once the potato is in the oven you’re able to chill it in the fridge and let the lime and cilantro flavors really set into the greek yogurt. While that’s chilling you now have time to make your filling! Be sure to toast your cumin until it’s fragrant, this will really help add an amazing flavor to those baked beans that you’re definitely going to want!
LOAD IT UP
As I said earlier this meal can be totally customizable when it comes to the toppings. My preferred way is just to top it off with avocado for a simple and fresh dinner. But you can spice it up and add corn, peppers, onions, or tomatoes to make it more filling. You can also top it off with a little sprinkle of cheese (I would do cotija!) and hot sauce! Anyway you make these I know they’ll be able to satisfy anyone who tries them. Happy cooking!Print
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Black Beans and Yogurt Cumin Sauce
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
My favorite meatless Monday meal for dinner!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Rub the sweet potatoes in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Prick with a fork and roast on a foil lined sheet tray for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until soft.
- In the meantime, toast the chile powder, coriander and cumin in a dry skillet until fragrant. Add the jalapeno and black beans . Season to taste with salt.
- For the sauce, combine the yogurt, lemon juice and zest, cilantro and cumin in a small bowl and mix. Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the stuffed potatoes, cut down the middle and stuff with the spiced black beans. Finish by topping with yogurt sauce, chopped cilantro, and diced avocado.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: Sweet Potatoes, Stuffed, Black Beans