southwestern cobb salad
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes minutes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 cups romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 6 slices bacon cooked + roughly chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 ripe avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup black beans rinsed
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese grated or cubed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 4 eggs hard boiled + chopped
FOR THE SMOKY SWEET ONION DRESSING
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 sweet onion roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 cup avocado oil
- In a blender or food processor, combine the ½ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, 1 medium sweet onion, 2 teaspoon celery salt, 2 tablespoon mustard, ½ teaspoon chipotle powder and ¼ teaspoon black pepper and process until smooth. With the blender on its lowest speed, gradually add the 1 cup oil (avocado, canola, grapeseed) in a steady stream until the dressing is thickened.
- Transfer ½ of dressing to a shallow dish or resealable bag and add 2 pounds chicken breasts . Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Reserve the remaining dressing (I like to store in a mason jar) for serving.
- Heat grill on high for 10 minutes. Generously season the marinated chicken with cracked black pepper and place on hot grill.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook without turning for 5-8 minutes. Using tongs, flip chicken and continue cooking, rotating frequently, until the internal temperature reads 165°F with an instant read thermometer. Remove from grill and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, simply layer all ingredients starting with 10 cups romaine lettuce, 6 slices bacon chopped, 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes, 1 cup corn off the cob, or from a can, 1 sliced avocado, 1 cup black beans rinsed, 1 cup pepper jack cheese grated or cubed, ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro, 4 chopped hard boiled eggs. Thinly slice the chicken breasts and lay on top. Add dressing to the salad or serve on the side.
- To complete this meal serve with a side of fresh fruit or a cup of tortilla soup with crushed tortilla chips on top.
- Protein: The chicken can be substituted with grilled shrimp or salmon. The marinade is complementary to both.
- Vegetarian: Remove the chicken and bacon from the recipe and add a can of chickpeas to the salad. To make it even more filling add a whole grain like brown rice or farro.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Dressing can be made in advance and transferred to a jar or airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (I like using a mason jar).
- To bake chicken in the oven, preheat to 425°. Transfer chicken to a shallow baking dish, season with salt and pepper, and top with marinade. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.