sheet pan sweet + sour chicken
5 from 2 votes
Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes minutes
FOR THE CHICKEN + VEGGIES
- 1 egg large, beaten
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup pineapple 2-inch dice
- 2 bell peppers 2-inch dice
- 1 red onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
SWEET + SOUR SAUCE
- 1 cup sweet thai chili sauce
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Use a non-stick sheet pan or line with parchment paper.
- Add 1 large beaten egg to a shallow bowl and whisk. Add ½ cup flour to a separate shallow bowl.
- Season 1 ½ pounds cubed boneless chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper then using tongs, dredge the chicken pieces in egg, followed by the flour tossing to coat and shaking off any excess.
- Place the chicken on one side of the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add 1 cup diced pineapple, 2 bell peppers diced, and 1 red onion diced to the other side of the sheet pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the sweet 1 cup Thai chili sauce, ⅓ cup soy sauce, ½ cup orange juice, ¼ cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 tablespoon peanut butter,2 cloves garlic (of 2 frozen cubes) and 2 teaspoons ginger in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens and begins to reduce. Remove from the heat.
- After removing the sheet pan from the oven, pour half the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Toss the vegetables (without sauce). Return everything to the oven for another 5 minutes, until the sauce coats the chicken.
- Serve the sauced chicken over bowls of rice topped with roasted veggies and garnished with cilantro. Serve drizzled with the remaining sauce, if desired.
- To complete this meal serve with an asian slaw or potstickers.
- Vegetarian: Remove the chicken from the recipe and double the vegetables. You could also replace the chicken with firm, drained tofu.
- Protein: The chicken can be substituted with shrimp or cubed beef.
- Gluten Free: You can substitute the flour for dredging for gluten-free all-purpose flour and the soy sauce for coconut aminos.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- You can purchase a store bought sweet and sour sauce instead of making the one listed above. I recommend the Kikkoman Sweet & Sour Sauce.
- Purchase pre-cubed pineapple.
- Use frozen rice (I like the Trader Joe’s product) to make rice in minutes.
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1949mg | Potassium: 1305mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 2543IU | Vitamin C: 127mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg