sausage, pepper + potato skillet
5 from 2 votes
Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 links cooked italian sausage cut into coins
- ½ pound baby potatoes quartered
- 2 bell peppers chopped into chunks
- ½ red onion chopped into chunks
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar
- ½ cup lemon zest + juice
- 1 tablespoon italian parsley chopped
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil followed by 4-5 pounds Italian sausage. Brown all over—about 2 minutes per side—then transfer to a plate or platter.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, followed by ½ pound quartered baby potatoes. Season with a big pinch of salt and cracked black pepper.
- Cook these until golden brown, turning frequently for about 8 minutes total. Transfer to the same platter with the sausages.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the 2 chopped bell peppers and ½ chopped red onion. Season with a big pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender—about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages and potatoes back to the skillet. Pour 1/3 cup water evenly over the top and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender, lifting the lid for the last few minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Finish with ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (returning the lid if you want it slightly melted,) lemon zest and juice for ½ a lemon, and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
- Since this is such a hearty skillet, I like serving this with a crisp green salad or steamed green beans. Something light and crunchy. You can also serve this over creamy polenta or orzo.
- Protein: Swap the sausage for shrimp, cubed chicken breast, or pork tenderloin.
- Vegetarian: Swap the sausage for mushrooms or increase the peppers and onions.
- Gluten-free: Check your brand of sausage to make sure it’s gluten free.
- Other: For Sausage + Pepper Subs you can eliminate the potatoes from the recipe and serve the sausage, pepper, and onion mixture on toasted rolls with melted mozzarella on top.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Slice peppers and onions in advance and store in an airtight container.
- Potatoes can be sliced up to 24 hours in advance, submerged in cold water, and stored in an airtight container.
- Chop parsley, and wrap in a damp paper towel and store in an airtight bag.
Calories: 611kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 919mg | Potassium: 721mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2096IU | Vitamin C: 106mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 2mg