- 1 pound small golden and red beets, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 medium oranges
- 8 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Trim the beets and place on a sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap the beets in the foil and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets, slice in half lengthwise, and then slice into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons.
For the dressing, heat 3/4 cup of the orange juice and the sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until the mixture is reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
Whisk the orange juice reduction with the olive oil, the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice, the goat cheese, vinegar, heavy cream and 1 tablespoon water in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cut off both ends of the oranges. Carefully cut off the skin and pith, and then slice the oranges in half and then into 1/4-inch half-moons.
Mix together the arugula and onions in a large salad bowl. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Arrange the oranges and beets over each salad and drizzle with the dressing. Top with pistachios.