February 18, 2021
I love it when food is FUN! These rainbow waffles that I recently made with my nieces were a great way to spending time cooking together in the kitchen while discussing rainbow order.
When Food is Fun!
I recently visited my sister after she welcomed a new baby boy (Jack!) and wanted to spend some quality time with my nieces in the kitchen. Both Molly and Kate love rainbows, so I thought it would be fun to incorporate rainbows into a recipe. Waffles is one “food group” we can all agree upon, so we just went with it!
Rather than playing with messy food coloring, we simply took our favorite waffle mix and topped those waffles with fruit from the different colors of the rainbow. We used our favorite box mix to keep things super simple so we could focus on mixing without too much measuring, but you could absolutely take this same approach with your favorite homemade waffle recipe. I’ve included mine below! If you’re in the market for a new waffle iron, check out my review for my favorite Oster Belgian Waffle Maker here.
Whipped Cream Clouds
After halving our waffles, we really sealed the deal with some whipped cream clouds. You could also use Greek yogurt or even marshmallows for the clouds. We had so much fun working together on a ROYGBIV song and carefully cutting some of the fruit together. These are my favorite knives for kids in the kitchen. I can’t wait to visit again and tackle another cooking craft with these cuties!Print
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 waffles 1x
These irresistible homemade waffles are topped off with fruit corresponding with rainbow order. A perfect cooking craft for kids in the kitchen!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Grease your waffle iron with non-stick spray. Based on the size of your waffle iron, pour in an adequate amount of batter and cook until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Halve and serve waffles with fruit in rainbow order, a drizzle of maple syrup, or whipped cream clouds.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes