If Autumn had a signature cookie, this would be it! Soft pillowy pumpkin cookies with a classic brown sugar frosting.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the cookies: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin, vanilla and egg and mix well. Mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.
For the frosting: In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Let cool for 10 minutes. Slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in the confectioners’ sugar until the frosting reaches the desired consistency. Spread the frosting over the cookies and sprinkle with the pecans if using.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: pumpkin, cookies