A spooky taste on a family favorite! Ground turkey is the base for this sloppy joe recipe and made EXTRA delicious with a sweet and tangy sauce. Have fun playing with your food as you add mozzarella ball eyes and provolone teeth!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces tomato puree
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 potato rolls, lightly toasted
For eyes: Mozzarella balls (bocconcini) and sliced olives
For teeth: Sliced provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and ground turkey, sprinkle with the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers and onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens up, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm on toasted potato rolls. Adorn with monster details, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: skillet, sloppy joes