maple glazed butternut + kale salad
4.34 from 3 votes
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- ½ cup raw pepitas (no shell pumpkin seeds) toasted
- 2 cups farro
- 4 cups kale chopped and stems removed
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups honeycrisp apples diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
FOR THE APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. On a lined baking sheet, toss together 2 cups cubed butternut squash, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until the squash is tender.
- Line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper. Add ½ cup pepitas, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Arrange in a single layer. Transfer to the lowest rack in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the pepitas are toasted (watch these closely!)
- Cook 2 cups wild rice or farro according to package directions. I like to swap the water for chicken broth when I cook grains.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine 4 cups shredded kale, 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts, 2 cups diced apples and 1 cup pomegranate seeds tossing to combine (reserve a handful of apples and pomegranate seeds to garnish the top of the salad with).
- To make the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake. Taste and adjust as needed with additional salt and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, just before serving, tossing to combine. Add the roasted butternut squash (gently tossing) and top the salad with the toasted pepitas, reserved apples, pomegranate seeds, and goat cheese.
- Serve with a slice of good, crusty bread and a sliced rotisserie chicken.
- Protein: Add crisped prosciutto to the top of the salad by crisping 4 slices of prosciutto in a 400°F oven for 9-12 minutes.
- Gluten-Free: Use wild rice instead of farro.
- Apples: Swap the apples for fresh figs when they’re in season!
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Cook the rice or farro in advance and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Make dressing in advance and store in a sealed mason jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 21kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0.5g | Fat: 0.05g | Saturated Fat: 0.01g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.003g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 164mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4961IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 0.3mg