- 1 pound refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, ends removed, cut into thirds on an angle
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the tortellini according to package directions, adding the peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a small bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and golden brown around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, dill, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 5 minutes. Add the cooked tortellini, peas, and pancetta to the sauce and toss gently to coat.
- To serve, divide the tortellini among 4 to 6 serving plates, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and dill.
Tortellini with Tomato Cream and Basil: Using the exact same technique, you can make a completely different dish. Substitute haricots verts for the snap peas. Add a small can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes to the pan after the shallot, substitute fresh basil for the dill, and top with fresh cubed mozzarella instead of Parmesan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes