An ooey gooey family favorite treat. This Honey Corn is perfect for the holidays, over ice cream, or a weeknight pick me up.
- 24 cups popped corn (from about 1 cup popcorn kernels)
- 1 1/2 cups roasted salted peanuts
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil, wrapping the foil over the outside edges of the baking sheet.
- Divide the popcorn and peanuts evenly between the two prepared pans.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, butter, cream, and honey. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot, gently boil the mixture until it reaches the softball stage, about 234º F. Remove the pot from the heat and, while stirring constantly, add the baking soda.
- Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the two baking sheets of popcorn and mix well with large spoons (the sugar mixture will be very hot). Let cool slightly and enjoy warm or room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.