Give a Halloween twist to a classic grilled ham and cheese. This spooky take on sandwiches is easy, yet super festive and a great way to establish a food tradition with kids.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced ham
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Butter each slice of bread and sprinkle with Parmesan, pressing to help it stick. Flip the slices over onto a work surface, Parmesan side down. Top 4 of the slices with the Swiss cheese, ham and pickles. Spread the mustard on the remaining 4 slices of bread. Close the sandwiches and griddle over moderate heat, turning, until golden, crisp on the outside and melted inside, about 3 minutes.
Using a ghost or tulip shaped cookie cutter, press the shape into the sandwich. Finish by adding sliced olives as eyes.
Serving Suggestion: consider making my Roasted Tomato Soup for proper ghost sandwich dunking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: Halloween, Grilled Cheese,