Egg in a Hole Hearts
January 28, 2021
A classic and simple breakfast gets a simple Valentine’s Day update with a heart shaped cookie cutter. Egg in a Hole Hearts will get your day started with a smile.
A Classic “Cracked” Breakfast
Have you ever made an “egg-in-a-hole?” It’s a a quick and easy breakfast recipe requiring just a couple of ingredients — an egg cracked inside a slice of bread and fried to perfection. It’s simple, tasty, and, fun! This was one of my favorite breakfasts from childhood and now my kids love it too! Rather than topping your toast with an egg, why not nestle it inside?! I’ve always called it egg-in-a hole, I’ve also heard it called egg-in-a-basket and even toad-in-a-hole. Egg in a Hole Hearts are a perfectly simple and delicious way to start your Valentine’s Day!
Perfect for Little Helpers in the Kitchen
This dish is especially great if you have eager young helpers in the kitchen. There’s plenty of fun tasks the littles can do to help you prepare this easy breakfast — getting to make the holes in the bread is probably the most fun.
While a simple drinking glass will do the trick, a cookie cutter is definitely more FUN. While pulling all of your ingredients and tools to prepare the “egg-in-a-hole”, invite your kids to scour through the cookie cutters and pick their favorite shape. For Valentine’s Day a heart makes perfect sense! I plan on sliding the finished dish on their plates, saying, “I love you with my HOLE heart!” (cheesy, I know) In merely minutes you’ll have a delicious balanced breakfast that’s the perfect start to a good day.
Extra Special and Extra Easy
With just a few simple steps, you’ve got a breakfast that seems extra special even though it couldn’t have been simpler to make. Feel free to get creative with toppings like fresh avocado, crisped bacon, or chopped chives. These can easily be made, alongside some bacon, on a griddle. The Dash Nonstick Electric Griddle is my current favorite- see my review here!Print
Egg in a Hole Hearts
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
A classic and simple breakfast gets a simple Valentine’s Day update with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- 2 Slices of your favorite bread
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
1. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, press out the center of the pieces of bread reserving the cut out.
2. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and melt the butter.
3. Add the bread slices and the center cut outs to the pan.
4. Break 1 egg into each heart hole, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Using a spatula, flip the bread and cook to desired doneness (about 2 minutes for runny eggs and 5 minutes for firmer eggs).
6. Serve each piece of bread with the toasted heart cut out.
- Prep Time: 1 minte
- Cook Time: 4-5 minutes