Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer Cake inspired by milk & cookies for my son’s 2nd birthday!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 sticks unsalted butter (1 ½ cups), melted
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups chocolate chips or chunks
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Two (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 4 (9-inch) cake pans or springform pans. *note: I made this recipe in two batches using 2 pans because I didn’t have 4 cake pans that were all the same size.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugars until fully combined. Whisk in the eggs and yolks one at a time followed by the vanilla. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients avoiding over-mixing. Once the dough has just come together, stir in the chocolate chunks until they are evenly distributed. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Press 1/4 of the dough into each prepared pan. If desired, press additional chocolate chunks on the top and sides of the dough.
- Bake until the tops of the cookie layers are golden brown, about 24-28 minutes. Avoid over baking the cookies as you want the centers to still be soft. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until each layer has reached room temperature.
- Starting with one cookie layer on a cake plate, add 1/3 of the prepared cream cheese frosting to the center of the cookie, and using an offset spatula smooth it out evenly over the cookie, emphasizing the sides so that the cream cheese layer is visible when the next cookie is placed on top. Repeat this process two more times, ending with an unfrosted cookie on top.
- Store completed cookie cake (covered) in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Before serving, allow cake to come to room temperature.
For the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixture, combine the cream cheese and butter and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and salt. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, beating until fully incorporated. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: dessert
Keywords: chocolate chip, layer cake, cake