Creamy Spinach Mushroom Gnocchi
September 17, 2018
THE EASIEST WEEKNIGHT PASTA DISH
We’ve been making this one-skillet Creamy Mushroom Spinach Gnocchi on repeat for literally the last year. Soft, pillowy, gnocchi is what pasta dreams are made of. Everyone in the family loves gnocchi and I can now swing by my Trader Joe’s and pick up the ingredients for this dish with my eyes closed. This gnocchi is swimming in a light cream sauce that’s slightly tangy and just rich enough with the addition of mushrooms and spinach. I like to deglaze the caramelized onions with white wine, but you can easily substitute broth if you’d rather.
TIPS FOR COOKING PERFECT PASTA ON A WEEKNIGHT
Whether you’re making my favorite pasta dish (this Creamy Mushroom + Spinach Gnocchi) or any other pasta on a weeknight, here are a few tips I swear by for getting perfect al dente results every time:
- Use a large roomy pot, because this gives the pasta space to move and cook evenly so that nothing is stuck together when you drain it. Also, don’t forget to make sure you’re using enough water to fully submerge the pasta.
- Don’t skimp on the salt! Salt the water, salt the water, salt the water. I swear this is the one thing that will make the biggest difference in the taste of your pasta, so I aim for using a tablespoon each time I cook pasta.
- Boil & Stir. Bring your water to a full boil before you add your pasta and don’t forget to stir frequently to avoid clumping.
- Don’t overcook your pasta. Pay attention to the time suggestions on the box, but I like to check my pasta a minute or so before it’s supposed to be done because I prefer al dente pasta with just a bit of bite. In my opinion, you’re better off undercooking pasta than overcooking it — and I think legitimate Italians would agree with me.
TOOLS FOR COOKING WEEKNIGHT PASTA DISHES
If I’m making a pasta dish in a skillet start to finish, this is my go-to tool. But if I’m boiling pasta the old fashioned way, this is an awesome pasta pot to have on hand.Print
Creamy Spinach Mushroom Gnocchi
Soft pillowy gnocchi is what pasta dreams are made of. Everyone in the family loves gnocchi and I can now swing by my Trader Joe’s and pick up the ingredients for this dish with my eyes closed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Kosher salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound gnocchi (uncooked)
- 2 cups (about 4 ounces) baby spinach
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and sauté the onion, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant.
Add the garlic and mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk in the mustard and white wine (or chicken broth) and cook until liquid has reduced to a tablespoon or so.
Add the cream and gnocchi and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low – cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cover and cook for another minute.
Stir in the parmesan and season with salt & pepper. Garnish with extra parmesan, if desired.
Made this wonderful receipt a few times. It is a simple, fast and delicious at my house. I highly recommend everyone to try. If you don’t have any spinach it’s just as tasty.
Have been consistently making this recipes for the better part of last year. Its something super simple and fast that I can make up at school and even made for my family a couple of times. Love it, its super tasty & a great way for me to incorporate more veggies into my diet. It is consistently good and one of my go to meals to make!
Wow, I just made this and.. wow. So good. Next time I’ll try it with the wine, but I didn’t have any on hand. So easy! So yummy! My 3-year-old helped make it and guzzled it down.