Creamy orzo with chicken sausage, broccoli, lemon, parmesan, and tomatoes. A hearty meal all tucked into one big skillet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fully cooked garlic herb chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (3 links)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or frozen garlic cubes)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Zest and juice from ½ lemon
- Handful of heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- Over medium-high heat, add the olive oil to a large 12-inch skillet. Add the sausage and cook until evenly browned on both sides, about 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until bright green and almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and orzo and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the pasta is al dente and the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes or according to your orzo’s package instructions. (If the pasta is cooked before the liquid is completely absorbed, uncover the skillet and let it simmer for an extra minute to evaporate it.) Stir in the 1/2 cup of Parmesan, zest and juice from the lemon, and cherry tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional Parmesan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: skillet, trader joe's, orzo, chicken