- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Two 15-ounce cans red kidney beans
- Shredded Cheddar, for serving
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chuck until no longer pink. Add the celery, onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cook just until the vegetables start to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables. Next, add the crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, 45 minutes.
Add the beans to the liquid and simmer to heat through. Serve the chili topped with shredded Cheddar, chives and sour cream.