chicken parm meatballs
5 from 2 votes
Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes minutes
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup breadcrumbs divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- ½ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- fresh basil for garnish
- Bring 1 jar marinara sauce to a simmer over medium heat in a 10 or 12-inch cast iron or oven-safe skillet. Meanwhile, place 1 pound ground chicken, ½ cup breadcrumbs, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, ½ small finely chopped onion, 1 egg, 3 minced garlic cloves (or frozen cubes), ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, and a big pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with a fork until combined.
- When the sauce is simmering, form the chicken mixture into 1 1/2-inch wide meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each), wetting your hands with water as needed to keep the mixture from sticking to your hands. Carefully drop the meatballs into the sauce in a single layer as you go. If you have extra meatball mixture, you can shape and freeze for later.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the meatballs over. Return the lid and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn on your oven to the broil setting.
- Combine ½ cup breadcrumbs,¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl; mix with fork and set aside.
- Uncover meatballs and sprinkle 2 cups shredded mozzarella evenly over the meatballs followed by the breadcrumb mixture.
- Transfer to the oven and broil uncovered until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden-brown, about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Meatballs can be frozen in an airtight freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.
- To complete the meal serve with cooked spaghetti and a big caesar salad and garlic bread.
- Protein: Swap the ground chicken for ground turkey, pork, or beef.
- Vegetarian: I recommend using the IMPOSSIBLE Meatballs or plant based ground protein substitute.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Other: The fresh basil can be swapped for chopped Italian parsley.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Chop the onion in advance and store in an airtight container.
- Shape meatballs, freeze flat on a sheet tray and store in an airtight bag in the freezer.
- Cook pasta in advance and rewarm with marinara sauce.
Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 191mg | Sodium: 1640mg | Potassium: 1260mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1277IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 530mg | Iron: 5mg