You know that you cannot go wrong with a side dish when it includes both butter and bacon. Because of this, you end up with the most delicious cabbage dish known to man.
- 4 strips (7 ounces) thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large high-sided saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until crisp, 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crisped bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve; do not discard the drippings.
- Add the butter to the pan with the bacon drippings, followed by the onions. Cook until the onions begin to sweat, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine, vinegar and cabbage. Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the cabbage and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Stir the crisped bacon into the cabbage and season with salt and pepper.
I particularly love serving this side dish alongside fish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes