blt pasta salad
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time: 20 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 ounces romaine lettuce chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives freshly chopped
FOR THE DRESSING
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE DRESSING
- Pulse ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt, ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup basil leaves, 1 clove minced garlic (or frozen cube), ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper in a blender or food processor, or whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until emulsified and well-combined; set aside.
FOR THE SALAD
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then arrange 1 pound bacon in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until the bacon is deep golden-brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, crumble the bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add 1 pound short pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and then mix half the dressing into the warm pasta. Let cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place the drained pasta, bacon, 1 pint halved tomatoes, 1 diced avocado, 3 ounces chopped romaine lettuce, and 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives in a large bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with grilled chicken or a sliced rotisserie chicken.
- Protein: Swap the bacon for crisped pancetta.
- Vegetarian: Remove the bacon from the recipe and replace it with grilled corn.
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten free pasta like Banza.
- Vegan/Dairy-Free: For dressing, use 1 cup raw cashews + ½ cup water in place of the yogurt. Use a vegan mayonnaise then blend all ingredients, except the herbs, in a high-speed blender until creamy. Add the herbs and pulse to combine. If dressing is too thick, blend in a little water or more olive oil.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Cook and crumble the bacon in advance and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prepare the dressing by following the directions and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Pasta can be cooked in advance, cooled completely, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 807kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 836mg | Potassium: 733mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1828IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg