black bean taquitoswith avocado corn salsa
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes minutes
FOR THE TAQUITOS
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 can black beans drained + rinsed (15 ounces)
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 1 lime zest + juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 20 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese
FOR AVOCADO CORN SALSA
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Use a non-stick sheet tray or spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 small diced red onion and 1 small diced red bell pepper sauteing until soft and fragrant. Stir in 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained), ½ cup salsa verde, zest and juice from 1 lime, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes until everything is heated through and simmering. Remove from the heat.
- To avoid the tortillas from cracking, place 2-3 tortillas in between two damp paper towels and microwave for 20-30 seconds. If using flour tortillas, do the same.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the black bean mixture in the center of the tortilla and sprinkle shredded Mexican or pepper jack cheese over the top and roll the tortilla up nice and tight. Place the taquito, seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Continue rolling taquitos until the tortillas and filling are gone. You should have around 15-20 taquitos.
- Spray the taquitos generously with olive oil cooking spray or an oil spritzer and top with remaining cheese (if desired). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are golden brown and crispy.
- In the meantime, transfer 1 ½ cup of fresh or frozen corn to a medium bowl and add ½ cup of cotija, 1 avocado diced,juice from 1 lime, and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve the taquitos warm with avocado corn salsa over the top and garnish with pickled onions, if desired.
- Don’t skimp on spraying the taquitos with the nonstick spray or oil spritzer – that’s what gets them to really crisp up.
- I’d serve this along with some tortilla chips and a bowl of Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Protein: Add a shredded rotisserie chicken or 1 lb. of any ground meat like beef, chicken, or turkey.
- Vegetarian: Recipe is vegetarian as written.
- Tortillas: If corn tortillas aren't for you, feel free to swap for flour, or add the same filling and toppings to fresh lettuce cups.
- Other: Swap the Avocado Corn Salsa with your favorite store bought salsa.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Cut the onion and bell pepper and store in an airtight container.
- The salsa can be prepped in advance and stored in an airtight container.
- You can freeze these taquitos after they’ve been cooked. I suggest eliminating the cheese on top if you plan to freeze, then add the cheese when reheating in the microwave or air fryer.
Calories: 845kcal | Carbohydrates: 98g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 958mg | Potassium: 1062mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1849IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 617mg | Iron: 5mg