Bacon Cheddar + Chive Biscuits
January 1, 2018
These buttery biscuits can’t be beat! Fresh chives, sharp cheddar, and crispy bacon make this the perfect brunch bread.
Bacon, Cheddar, and Chives, Oh My!
This trio of flavors is fundamentally delicious. Throw them on a baked potato, top your soup, or in this case– mix it into your biscuits! I love these as a supplement to a savory brunch or breakfast. But really, these go great with just about anything. They are buttery, savory, and salty. What more could you ask of a carb?!
Best Biscuits Every Time
There are a few tricks to perfecting biscuits in your kitchen. Here are some of my tried and true tips!
- To ensure those iconic flakey layers, make sure you work with the coldest butter possible. Try freezing your sticks and grating with a cheese grater or cubing into small pieces to incorporate while still cold.
- Biscuits require some love to come out just right- so don’t reach for your stand or hand mixer! Mixing these by hand will help you keep a gentle touch.
- Your biscuits can toughen up quick if you man-handle them too much before baking. Don’t worry too much about making them smooth and uniform! Just mix the dough until incorporated, then hands off.
- Nothing beats a fresh baked biscuit, so consider making a large batch and freezing some unbaked cut-out biscuits. Simply freeze them individually on a baking sheet and then wrap in aluminum foil and store in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. When you’re ready for your next biscuit fix, When ready to bake, no need to thaw, but simple double the baking time.
- Practice makes perfect! As you continue to hone your skills, your biscuits will turn out prettier and flakier every time.
Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits
- Yield: 18 biscuits 1x
- 7 slices bacon
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces or grated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp and brown. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Chop and set aside. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Using a food processor, pastry cutter, or fingertips incorporate the chilled butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the Cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and cooked bacon. Mix to distribute the ingredients evenly. Add the buttermilk and stir just until moistened. Using 1/2 cup dough for each biscuit and using a cup measure or an ice cream scoop, drop the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing the mounds about 2-inches apart. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 to 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Serve the biscuits warm with melted butter.