Avocado Scrambled Eggs with Cheddar Jalapeno Waffles
March 18, 2021
HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR BREAKFAST?
I prefer a savory breakfast over a sweet breakfast any day. If there’s eggs involved – even better! I like eggs scrambled, fried, and poached. All require a slightly different technique, all resulting in a tasty breakfast results. I was surprised to learn that when I went to culinary school one of the first things we were taught was how to properly cook eggs. Knowing how to execute eggs perfectly is a sure sign of an excellent chef. So I take great pride in the way I cook my eggs! And I’m only a little OCD about it. For breakfast perfection, I like adding some diced avocado into my scrambled eggs.
TIPS FOR COOKING SCRAMBLED EGGS
I feel like scrambled eggs are likely the most common preparate for families in America. (Do you agree?) Regardless, we all could brush up on our technique for making velvety scrambled eggs. Here are my best tips:
- WHIP IT…whip it real good! It’s crucial that you whip some air into your eggs to get that fluffy velvety texture. Make sure that you combine the yolks and the eggs for a streak-free scramble. After whipping your eggs, season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Use a non-stick skillet. The one thing you should ALWAYS cook in a non-stick skillet is eggs. It will make your life easier and yield much better results.
- For realllyyy good eggs, start with some melted butter in the pan. It will keep those eggs super silk and taste so. darn. good.
- Use lower heat that you expect to. If you’re like me, you cook most things on high heat. Properly cooked scrambled eggs happen over medium-low heat and require some patience. Better too low heat than too high. High heat results in tougher proteins and rubbery eggs.
- Use a spatula to gently push the eggs from one side of the skillet to the other. I like to sweep the spatula around the edge of the skillet to create luscious egg folds then tilting the skillet if necessary to take care of any uncooked egg.
- Finally, turn off the heat when the eggs seem just undercooked. There will be carryover cooking that happens, and it happens quickly. Underdone is better than overdone as they will fully set by the time they get to your breakfast plate.
TOOLS FOR COOKING PERFECT SCRAMBLED EGGS
Scrambled eggs are truly the most basic of basic dishes, but you’ll want to set yourself up for success with an awesome non-stick skillet, good whisk, and a rubber spatula that will help you obtain those luscious egg folds.Print