Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
August 10, 2020
A warm and comforting classic with a simple Asian flair. Adding miso, cilantro, and ginger takes this dish to the top of my list of favorite soups! Serve this Asian Chicken Noodle Soup for your next cozy weeknight dinner in.
Comfort in a Bowl
There are few things in life that are more comforting than a big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup and every good home cook should have a trusted recipe for this classic dish in her repertoire. Using the chicken thighs is key, as the meat is more tender and flavorful than chicken breasts. This will obviously result in better, more flavorful Asian Chicken Noodle Soup!
While the chicken roasts, take the time to prepare the rest of your ingredients so that when it’s done, you can put the soup together in no time. Asian influenced ingredients—miso, ginger, and cilantro—give this soup a flavorful spin but I stay true to my first love when it comes to the noodles: old-fashioned, chewy egg noodles are a must.
This is one of those meals that I try to make a little extra of to ensure I’ll be able to have a bowl for lunch the next day. I love to save my soup in my Rubbermaid Brilliance Glass Storage. These are by far the best tupperware I’ve found for airtight storage. You can find my full review for these here! Asian Chicken Noodle Soup will stay good in the fridge up to 2 days after cooking. Best leftovers ever!Print
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 pounds (about 5 large) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch coins
- 1 ¼ cups (1/4 pound) wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Put the chicken on rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast until the chicken registers 160º F on a thermometer that has been inserted into the thickest part of the chicken, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool slightly. Remove and discard the skin and bones; shred the meat.
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook just until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth, miso paste, and ginger, and bring to a simmer. Add the egg noodles, adjusting heat as necessary to keep the soup at a simmer, and continue cooking until noodles are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the pot and cook until heated through.
- To serve, remove ginger and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the cilantro. The soup will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.