arugula salad with pickled veggies
5 from 1 vote
Total Time: 30 minutes minutes
FOR THE BOWLS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups israeli couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup pistachios chopped
FOR PICKLED VEGGIES
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
FOR GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ½ lemon zest + juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Prepare the Pickled Veggies and Dressing first.
FOR THE VEGGIES
- Add 2 cups of sliced vegetables to a mason jar or glass container.
- In a small saucepan add 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir to fully dissolve salt and sugar.
- Carefully pour the liquid over the vegetables, ensuring they are fully submerged. If needed, add more vinegar or a little water to cover.
- Seal and shake to combine. Then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The flavors will deepen and intensify the longer it marinates. Best flavor is achieved after 24 hours.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
FOR THE DRESSING
- In a food processor or blender, combine the 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup fresh parsley, 1 cup fresh cilantro, zest + juice from 1/2 lemon, ¼ cup olive oil, 1 clove garlic, plus a big pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined. Season to taste and thin with water or olive until desired creaminess is reached.
- Toss with the salad just before serving (or serve as a dip with fresh veggies). Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
FOR THE SALAD
- In a small saucepan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute 1 ½ cups couscous over medium-high heat until couscous is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add 2 cups chicken broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- While couscous is cooking, prep the arugula, goat cheese, and chopped pistachios. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, arrange arugula amongst 6 bowls. Top with ½ cup cooked couscous, ⅓ cup pickled veggies, 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese, and 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios.
- Serve with pan seared salmon or grilled chicken.
- Protein: Add 4 oz. crisped pancetta to salad.
- Vegetarian: Cook couscous in water vs. broth.
- Gluten-free: Swap couscous for your favorite gluten-free grain like wild rice.
- Vegan/Dairy-Free: For dressing, use 1 cup raw cashews + ½ cup water in place of the yogurt. Blend all ingredients, except the herbs, in a high-speed blender until creamy. Add the herbs and pulse to combine. If dressing is too thick, blend in a little water or more olive oil.
WEEKEND PREP / MAKE AHEAD
- Prepare the pickled veggies in advance by following the directions above and storing in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- Prepare the dressing by following the directions and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Couscous can be cooked in advance, cooled completely, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 781mg | Potassium: 394mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1725IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 2mg